I’m a big believer that food brings people together — and so does cooking! Spending time as a couple in the kitchen will not only help you to better understand your partner’s working style (which is key to a happy relationship) but you get to engage in a rewarding activity together.
So today, as part of a guest post for Love Out Loud Asia (LOLA), I’ll be sharing three super simple recipes that are great as bonding activities on date night. Whether you’re ready to call the cooking room your second home or complete novices, I promise these recipes can be done. Plus, all awkwardness is out the window here because you’ll actually have an activity to focus on, even if not on each other ha ha 🙂
The best part? Needless to say, it’s having a homemade meal to savour together when you’re done. You can thank me later.
For the no-nonsense couple, try this one-pot wonder (that’s big enough to share, or save for supper!). Makes a great meal for a stay-at-home movie night and cuddles.
Chicken, Chorizo & Prawn Paella
Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large carrot
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or thighs, if preferred)
- 200g chorizo
- 200g fresh tiger prawns
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 red, yellow and green bell pepper each
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300g basmati rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
1. Slice the garlic, peel and roughly chop the onion and carrot into cubes. Add all into a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Finely chop the parsley stalks, then roughly cut chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks, adding both into another medium bowl to set aside. Tear open the chorizo skins and add the meat into a small bowl, set aside.
3. Put a lug of oil into a large lidded shallow casserole pot or paella pan on medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks and chorizo into the pan, frying for a few minutes until the aroma is thick.
4. Add the chicken and paprika, and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. In the mean time, deseed and chop the peppers, then add to the pan for a further 5 minutes. Add the tomato purée and stir, then add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes.
6. Pour in 750ml of boiling water and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Pop the lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure all is cooked. You may add a little water if needed.
7. Stir in the prawns, replace the lid, and cook for a further 5-10 minutes, or until the prawns turn a glowing orange.
8. Season accordingly, then garnish the paella with the remaining parsley leaves. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.
For the health-conscious couple, try this recipe as a light snack, or as a guilt-free side. Even better, have this post-gym to accompany that protein shake.
Watermelon, Mint, Blueberry Salad
Yield: 2 servings
- Half medium watermelon, diced
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pack fresh blueberries (mine’s about 250g)
- 5 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced (I love to use lemon-lime)
1. Gently toss all ingredients together in a large bowl, refrigerate and serve chilled! Corn chips are optional 😉
For the couple that’s ready to flex your culinary muscle, shoot for this satisfying dessert that will challenge your teamwork.
Irish Cream Tiramisu Charlotte
Yield: One small cake, good for 2-3
Refer to the recipe I shared previously here, reducing the ingredients about half.
1. Cut approximately 1cm off the ends of the Savoiardi biscuits to achieve a flat base. You will need between 10 to 13 ladyfingers to line the outer ring of a 6-inch cake mould.
2. Follow the instructions here on how to make your chilled zabaglione (egg yolk mixture), and assemble the tiramisu filling in layers.
3. Chill in the fridge for at least two hours, then enjoy at the end of a romantic evening.
Love Out Loud Asia (LOLA) is a SIMPLE, FUN & PRIVATE dating app that helps singles spend less time online and more time actually dating! How are we different from other dating apps? We focus on date ideas and only send you one match a day at noon.. here’s a short 30sec video to better illustrate how-it-works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqkPh3dFde4 Available on both iPhone & Android. For more info, simply visit: http://loveoutloud.asia.
Also check out other posts in addition to mine on their blog at http://blog.loveoutloud.asia.
Yes, the dishes can wait. x